At a glance
- New price: £15,995 - £31,805
- Used price: £2,165 - £13,015
- Insurance group: 17 - 34 Get quotes
- Great to drive
- Excellent diesels
- Newer cars come with Efficient Dynamics
- Space in the rear is tight
- Styling not to everyones taste
The unusual looks of the BMW 1-Series may not have been universally acclaimed when it was first launched but the hatchback has become a hugely popular model. Good to drive and with a great choice of engines it's is the cheapest way of owning a BMW. In 2007 the line-up was further improved with a range of fuel-saving measures called Efficient Dynamics.
Fitted to all models, drivers will hardly notice any difference but both fuel economy and emissions are significantly lowered. Up to 60mpg is offered on diesel models while all four-cylinder engines have increased power along with improved efficiency. There are more practical cars available for the money but none are as engaging to drive as the 1-Series.