- Familiar SE, Sport and S Line trim structure
- Customisable top spec cars including contrasting roof
- Lots of tech thrown in as standard on entry cars
There are three main trims for the Audi A1 Sportback called SE, Sport and S Line, with a load of tech thrown in on the base-spec, bolstered by lots of options and personalisation to choose from.
Standard Audi A1 Sportback equipment
The line-up starts as usual, with SE trim, which includes the following:
- 15-inch alloy wheels
- 10.25-inch digital cockpit display
- 8.8-inch MMI multimedia screen with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- LED head and tail lights
- Electrically adjustable door mirrors
- Leather multi-function steering wheel, handbrake and gear knob
- Light and rain sensors
- Cloth seats
- Manual air conditioning
- Audi Pre-sense Front with pedestrian and cyclist recognition
- Hill-hold assist
- Lane departure warning
- Speed limiter
- Audi Connect Safety and Service including emergency call, roadside assistance etc
- Smartphone connectivity via myAudi app - remote lock and unlock, car finder, and status check
Next up is the projected best-seller, the Sport specification, which adds:
- 16-inch alloys
- Cruise control
- Rear parking sensors
- Audi Drive Select (alters the steering assistance, engine and automatic gear shifts)
- Matt titanium black external trim
- Interior accents in silver grey with aluminium elements
- Door sill trims with aluminium inlays
- Front seat lumbar support
Finally there’s the top spec, called S line, and that gets you:
- 17-inch wheels
- Sport suspension
- S Line bodykit and badging
- Front sport seats in cloth and leatherette
- Perforated leather wheel with contrast stitching
- Black cloth headliner
- Stainless steel pedals
- LED interior lighting pack
There is also the option to upgrade to S Line Style or S Line Contrast – these add upgrades including leather or Alcantara fake suede upholstery, unique alloy wheel finishes and darker exterior trim highlights.
S Line Competition comes with t.0-litre 40 TFSI engine only, and includes 17-inch platinum grey alloys with matching door mirror housings, adaptive suspension and red brake calipers.
Optional Audi A1 Sportback extras
There are two main options packs here with the most popular tech bundled together for ease of purchase and use.
First is the Technology Pack, and that gets you:
- MMI Navigation Plus on a 10.1-inch display
- Advanced 3D city models
- TMC traffic information
- MMI Touch for destination entry with handwriting recognition
- Audi Virtual Cockpit (10.25-inch digital instrument cluster)
- Audi Phone Box with wireless charging
Then there’s the Comfort and Sound pack, and this contains:
- Bang & Olufsen 3D sound system
- Audi Parking System Plus
- Heated front seat
The basic equipment list includes equipment that is standard across all versions of the Audi A1 Sportback.
Equipment by trim level
To view equipment options for a specific trim level, please select from the following list:
|Equipment included on some trim levels|
S Line equipment
|S Line standard equipment|
|S Line optional equipment|
S Line Competition equipment
|S Line Competition standard equipment|
|S Line Competition optional equipment|
S Line Contrast Edition equipment
|S Line Contrast Edition standard equipment|
|S Line Contrast Edition optional equipment|
S Line Style Edition equipment
|S Line Style Edition standard equipment|
|S Line Style Edition optional equipment|
|SE standard equipment|
|SE optional equipment|
|Sport standard equipment|
|Sport optional equipment|
- Automatic braking system on all cars
- Lane departure aid
- Speed limiter as standard
There’s no Euro NCAP score for the Audi A1 yet because it’s too new – but the last car had five stars, and the VW Polo upon which this generation of A1 is based also scored five, so the signs are good.
Standard equipment includes Audi Pre-sense Front with pedestrian and cyclist recognition, to assist you with stopping suddenly in the event of another motorist or person straying into the path of your car.
There’s also a lane departure warning system to help you stay between the white lines, hold assist for hill starts and a speed limiter to keep your velocity in check.
In additional all A1 Sportback models come with Audi Connect Safety and Service including e-call, which calls the emergency services for you in the event of an accident.
- Narrower footprint but more cabin space
- Longer car than before but still compact
- Bigger boot than key rival MINI hatchback
Despite a slimming down of the A1’s external footprint there’s the sensation of more room in here than before, handy considering Audi wants to capture buyers moving down from a larger car.
The German manufacturer’s figures back up this sensation too - with claims of 43mm extra shoulder room and 28mm of additional elbow room. Four six-feet adults have just enough room to travel in comfort.
The Audi A1 Sportback might be five doors only now but it’s still a supermini and is therefore quite compact in its footprint. That said, it is 56mm longer than its predecessor, but this is countered by reduced height and width.
Along with the increase in passenger space you also get a larger boot in the Audi A1 Sportback – boasting 335 litres of space with the seats up, and 1,090 litres with them folded.
That represents useful increases of 65 and 170 litres respectively. The 3,982mm long five-door MINI Hatch has 278/941 litres of luggage room in comparison.