With list prices starting at a touch under £70,000 from launch, Audi A8 running costs are not priority number one, but for those companies that run A8s on their fleet, it's reassuring to note that they will be less expensive to run than the car they replaced. Going on the figures alone, the diesel version is the one to have.
According to official figures, both the standard- and long-wheelbase models will crack 50mpg (compared with 47.9mpg before), but that really doesn't reflect real-world-driving no matter how careful you are. Expect closer to 35mpg for the diesel and 25mpg for the petrol.
Official fuel consumption and emissions figures at launch:
- Audi A8 50 TDI Quattro: 50.4mpg (combined) and 145g/km
- Audi A8 55 TFSI Quattro: 37.7mpg (combined) and 171g/km
- Audi A8 L 50 TDI Quattro: 50.4mpg (combined) and 146g/km
- Audi A8 L 55 TFSI Quattro: 37.7mpg (combined) and 171g/km
Estimated fuel cost per year
|Fuel type||Pence per litre||Estimated cost per year *|
|Unleaded||128p||£1,616 - £1,663 *|
|Diesel||131p||£1,191 - £1,267 *|
* The estimated fuel cost figure is based on an annual mileage of 10,000 miles and is a guide to how much this model will cost in fuel each year. It's calculated using the model's average MPG (calculated from both town centre and motorway driving) and the average fuel price from around the country. Actual fuel costs will vary based on driving style and road conditions.
Ongoing running costs
|Servicing period||According to on-board computer up to two years/19,000 miles.|
|Warranty||Three years/60,000 miles.|
|Road tax (12 months)||£465|
44 - 48
How much is it to insure?
Vehicle excise duty (VED) varies according to the CO2 emissions and the fuel type of the vehicle. For cars registered before 01 March 2001 it is based on engine size. For cars registered on or after 01 March 2001 the VED or road tax is based on the car's CO2 emissions.
From launch all A8s have mild hybrid drivetrains, which means there's some battery assistance, but won't run solely on battery power. Both V6s have lower CO2 emissions than before, so they're a step in the right direction – but the A8's green credentials are sure to improve once the PHEV (plug-in hybrid) version goes on sale.
Highest and lowest CO2 emissions
|Engine||CO2 emissions||Road tax (12 months)|
3.0 TDi (286ps) Diesel,
|148 g/km (Min)||£465|
|3.0 TFSi (340ps) Petrol||181 g/km (Max)||£465|
As a brand new car, it's far too early to gauge its reliability. But if we look at the reliability of earlier A8s as a rough guide, then the future prospects of this one look very good indeed. Unlike a lot of smaller Audis, which can be plagued with reliability issues as they fall into middle age, Audi A8 owners report few issues and seem a happy bunch.
Car checklist problem points
|Body||No problems reported.|
|Engine / gearbox||No problems reported.|
|Other||No problems reported.|