- 258hp Amarok V6 gets price at last – and it’s great value compared to X-Class
- Replaces 224hp model at top of Amarok range; 224 is discontinued in the UK
- Highline specification only, including 18-inch alloys, eight-speed auto, permanent 4x4
As with all VW Amaroks since December 2016, the 258hp model is powered by a 3.0-litre V6 TDI, although this new one is by far the most powerful, only matched in the UK pickup sector by the forthcoming Mercedes X-Class X 350 d.
VW Amarok V6 TDI 258 performance figures
First things first, if you want to know what this new Amarok is like we have driven it extensively on and off-road already – click here to read that story.
However, these are the basic performance figures:
- Engine power: 258hp @ 3,250-4,000rpm
- Engine torque: 580Nm @ 1,400-3,000rpm
- 0-62mph: 7.4 seconds
- Top speed: 127mph
- Unladen weight (including 90% fuel): 2,178kg
- Payload: 1,112kg
- Towing capacity: 3,100kg (braked) 750kg (unbraked)
That doesn’t quite tell the whole story, though, as this engine has an overboost function – which means that if you give it the full beans you get an extra 14hp, resulting in a massive 272hp for short periods.
Every 258hp Amarok is fitted with an eight-speed automatic gearbox and permanent four-wheel drive as standard.
VW Amarok V6 TDI 258 standard equipment
This version of the Amarok will only be sold in Highline specification – which is top of the range.
- Electronic stability control (ESC)
- Automatic post-collision braking
- Touchscreen infotainment system with App-Connect
- 18-inch alloy wheels
- Bi-xenon headlights
- Side bars
- Front and rear parking sensors
- Rear-view camera
- Leather upholstery
That’s in addition to the eight-speed auto transmission.
What price is the VW Amarok V6 258 and when does it go on sale?
Pricing for the 258hp Amarok starts £34,325 basic, excluding VAT and on the road (OTR) costs.
That’s a hefty amount for a pickup, but only £225 more than the top-spec four-cylinder 190hp X-Class – we’re still waiting on the price of the V6 X-Class but you can expect it to be considerably more.
With the 224hp version gone, the VW Amarok line up now consists of the 163hp model with manual transmission only, 224hp model with manual or automatic transmission, and the new 258hp model with automatic only.
On sale now.