- New cee'd range delivers 4% improved mpg
- Eco version returns 76mpg with 97g/km of CO2
- Seven-year warranty, available for order in June
The new cee'd hatchback is the headline-grabber on this year's Kia stand. It looks better and it's still great value.
Ford Focus diehards may well have their heads turned by the Korean manufacturer's new car.
Parkers Pick - cee'd
- What is it? An updated version of the popular cee'd small family hatch, which targets the likes of the Ford Focus and Vauxhall Astra.
- Vital stats and facts: Kia says this car combines styling typically found on a sporty coupé, with the space and functionality of a five-door hatch. It'll come with the same engine range as before but emissions are down and fuel economy has been improved. The new cee’d is longer, wider and lower than its predecessor with the same long wheelbase. It will be available with 1.4 and 1-6-litre petrol engines and 1.4 and 1.6-litre diesel engines offering power outputs from 89bhp to 133bhp. The updated engines deliver a 4% average improvement in fuel consumption across the range, while the 127bhp diesel achieves a claimed fuel consumption of 76mpg and CO2 emissions of 97g/km.
- Why would you buy it? It'll be cheaper than a Focus and it'll have the benefit of a seven-year warranty.
- Why wouldn’t you? You'll still be wedded to the traditional brands like Vauxhall and Ford even though it'll be better for your wallet. You fear change.
- Prices and launch date: UK deliveries will be expected from June 2012 onwards and it should be only fractionally more expensive than the current model.
What else is on the stand?
Kia also unveiled the cee’d SW, the estate version of Kia’s C-segment family car.
If the current Sportage, Sedona, Venga, Carens, Sorento, Pro_cee'd, Optima, Rio, Soul and Picanto models float yer boat then you're in heaven. There's also the Track'ster concept and the Ray EV for a bit of left-field entertainment. Click here for Car Magazine's take on the Track'ster concept.
For more news from the Geneva Motor Show 2012, click here.