Ad closing in a few seconds...

Car tax calculator

Is my car taxed? How much will it cost? Find and check road tax prices for any car by using the tool below.

All cars in the UK pay annual car tax, or vehicle excise duty (VED). Depending when a car was registered, the basis on which its road tax is worked out can fall under one of three different systems:

  • After April 1 2017: Fuel type and the car's new list price (if over £40,000) determine the rate paid.
  • March 1 2001 to March 31 2017: CO2 emissions and fuel type decide the level of road tax
  • Before March 1 2001: Cars whose engine size is up to 1549cc pay one rate; above that a higher rate applies
  • The rate applied in a car's first year from new also changed from April 1 2017, but is still based primarily on CO2 output

Confused? Read our car tax and VED advice or Visit official DVLA road tax site