- Great list of standard and optional safety features
- Only two Isofix points in the rear
- Confirmed as a five-star Euro NCAP performer
The Volkswagen Touareg is a very safe car. It comes with the Volkswagen Group's latest suite of safety systems. Considering it's so large, it's a surprise to see that there's provision for two only Isofix seats in the rear and fittings for the front is optional.
But despite this, the Touareg scored five stars in its Euro NCAP crash test in autumn 2018. In lieu of the full UK standard equipment list, here are the major safety systems offered on the Touareg range as a whole.
Safety features available on the Volkswagen Touareg SUV
- Front Assist with City Emergency Braking System and Pedestrian Monitoring
- Intersection Assist (warning of cross traffic from front)
- Lane Assist (lane-departure warning system)
- Side Assist (Lane Change and Turn-off Assist)
- Automatic Post-Collision Braking System
- Proactive occupant protection system (conditioning of the safety system as well as closing of windows and panoramic glass roof before a potential accident)
- Driver Alert System (warning of fatigue)
- Night Vision
- Dynamic Road Sign Display (showing road signs such as speed information and no overtaking)
- IQ Light – LED headlights: people in a potential danger area are briefly flashed to make them more visible for the driver and as a warning.
- Front Cross Traffic Assist
WATCH: Volkswagen Touareg SUV Euro NCAP crash test
- Spacious cabin, front and rear
- Well-sized boot, five-seats only
- Up there with the best for passenger space
This is a big, luxurious car, and as you'd expect, it's roomy enough to swallow five people without any real issues. There's plenty of room up-front, oodles of headroom, and in the rear, three adults will happily co-exist, especially thanks to the car's flat(ish) floor.
There is no seven-seat option (there never has been on the Touareg), unlike its principal rivals, the Audi Q7 or Land Rover Discovery. However, rear passengers are well-served with leg- and headroom – as you'd expect for a car in this class.
Like its rival SUVs, the Touareg is on the large size for average UK parking bays and garages, but with its suite of parking sensors, cameras and the automatic parking functions we tested, the physical act of parking it was actually straightforward.
The luggage space is XL-sized as well. Load length is 1,051mm, the loading lip is 808mm from the ground, while the boot space ranges between 810 litres with the rear seats up in place and 1,800 litres with them fully folded. On air-suspended models, the ride height can be lowered by the touch of a button in the luggage area to aid loading.
The basic equipment list includes equipment that is standard across all versions of the Volkswagen Touareg SUV.
Equipment by trim level
To view equipment options for a specific trim level, please select from the following list:
|Equipment included on some trim levels|
R Line equipment
|R Line standard equipment|
|R Line optional equipment|
R Line Tech equipment
|R Line Tech standard equipment|
|R Line Tech optional equipment|
|SEL standard equipment|
|SEL optional equipment|